Uh-oh. Here comes another political post. But first...
Someone (now dead) wrote "You tend to get what you accept". In a democracy, it's more a case of "You tend to get what the majority accept". Why did the majority accept things that took away their freedom? Adam Curtis has a few ideas (surprise, surprise!)
1) The state promised prosperity through rationality, science and technology.
2) The state manipulated history and our memories.
3) The state promised happiness through consumerism and by giving us what we wanted.
4) The state got us to give away our freedom by scaring the shit out of us.
5) The state exploited our natural distrust and selfishness.
Enjoy the dream.
So yeah, I know what the state (aided and abetted by big business) got/gets up to to keep the "peace".