Friday 14 June 2013

Grains & soyabeans: more bad news.

Jamie Scott (THAT PALEO GUY) has been doing some digging and found more dirt on...
From http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Various_grains.jpg
See Wheat amylase trypsin inhibitors drive intestinal inflammation via activation of toll-like receptor 4.
"We identify the α-amylase/trypsin inhibitors (ATIs) CM3 and 0.19, pest resistance molecules in wheat, as strong activators of innate immune responses in monocytes, macrophages, and dendritic cells. ATIs engage the TLR4-MD2-CD14 complex and lead to up-regulation of maturation markers and elicit release of proinflammatory cytokines in cells from celiac and nonceliac patients and in celiac patients' biopsies. Mice deficient in TLR4 or TLR4 signaling are protected from intestinal and systemic immune responses upon oral challenge with ATIs. These findings define cereal ATIs as novel contributors to celiac disease. Moreover, ATIs may fuel inflammation and immune reactions in other intestinal and nonintestinal immune disorders."

See Impact of antinutritional factors in food proteins on the digestibility of protein and the bioavailability of amino acids and on protein quality.
"Examples of naturally occurring antinutritional factors include glucosinolates in mustard and canola protein products, trypsin inhibitors and haemagglutinins in legumes, tannins in legumes and cereals, gossypol in cottonseed protein products, and uricogenic nucleobases in yeast protein products."

"Among common food and feed protein products, soyabeans are the most concentrated source of trypsin inhibitors. The presence of high levels of dietary trypsin inhibitors from soyabeans, kidney beans or other grain legumes have been reported to cause substantial reductions in protein and amino acid digestibility (up to 50 %) and protein quality (up to 100 %) in rats and/or pigs."

"Normally encountered levels of phytates in cereals and legumes can reduce protein and amino acid digestibility by up to 10 %. D-amino acids and LAL formed during alkaline/heat treatment of lactalbumin, casein, soya protein or wheat protein are poorly digestible (less than 40 %), and their presence can reduce protein digestibility by up to 28 % in rats and pigs, and can cause a drastic reduction (100 %) in protein quality, as measured by rat growth methods. The adverse effects of antinutritional factors on protein digestibility and protein quality have been reported to be more pronounced in elderly rats (20-months old) compared to young (5-weeks old) rats, suggesting the use of old rats as a model for assessing the protein digestibility of products intended for the elderly."

I eat grains, also peas, beans & lentils, but not as a dietary staple. I make sure that they're thoroughly cooked at 100°C.

13 comments:

George Henderson said...

That's more than just an antinutrient effect, the TLR4 one. That's your endotoxin receptor. Opioids are TLR4 agonists and gliadin peptides are opioid, so there may be a synergy there - TLR4 seems to mediate the non-endorphin and paradoxical effects of opioids - tolerance, hyperalgesia, inflammation, addiction and general mental distress.
What might fix this? Naltrexone is a TLR4 antagonist. So are some antidepressants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLR_4 has a very interesting section on drug effects.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

"What might fix this?" Not eating grains as a staple food?

Kade Storm A.K.A. Hedonist said...

I guess then I'm dead. ; ) Not too high on the grains--might have millet or brown rice from time to time--but I certainly rely on tubers, lentils, and beans as a staple.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

I'd say, more bloated than dead ;-) Lentils & beans, huh?

How does one ask how much flatus someone produces, without being rude? I don't know, so I'm not going to ask! Lots of lentils & beans make me fart like a trooper.

Kade Storm A.K.A. Hedonist said...

Lol. Oh, I know. We've discussed this before. I mean, I may not be as concavely flat as I would be eating eggs and meat for breakfast, but it's not all that different and I'm still very concave, so it doesn't really apply as a valid complaint from someone very lean like myself.

As for the gas. Well that's a real issue for a substantial number of people. Even I don't digest massive quantities of beans all that well, which is why they share staple spot with tubers, vegetables and fruit. In my case, lentils and peas digest fine, beans have to be kept a bit limited, but I have adjusted.

But on a serious note: I think the primary issue beneath the narrative that is forming from these studies indicting grains is the wheat factor. Once can still have grains, lentils, etc., as staple, while making sure they also get additional forms of complete protein.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

What you're eating is in my list of safe carbohydrates (in terms of glycaemic load). In terms of protein intake, a wide variety of proteins (something that pigs & rats don't get fed) ensure that we get enough EAAs, even in the presence of some anti-nutrients.


It's the stuff in the picture that's most troublesome, partly due to the grains having been ground into dust and refined, at some point.

Diana Moon said...

I'm avoiding grains, period, for the nonce. I have Hashi's. Maybe this is overkill but I am experimenting w/a non-gluten diet and seeing what effect it has on my thyroid.

Re: flatus, most carbs give me gas, except for fruits, which give me moderate gas. I think carbs in general are bad for my gut flora.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

That's a good idea. I think that everyone who has developed an autoimmune disease should avoid eating "problem" proteins. I feel a new blog post coming on!

Diana Moon said...

Other than gluten & soybeans what are the 'problem proteins'?


My stomach feels a lot better since I cut out the wheat. I had a relapse day and I paid for it. Gas, bloating, pain, etc.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Gimme a chance! That's the blog post that's coming on.
Clue: Proteins that contain a number of disulphide bonds (they're strong bonds).

Matt "The Kraken" Lalonde mentioned them in a video, somewhere.

Diana Moon said...

Ok! I wasn't axin' for biblical exegesis, I thought I'd missed something. I'll google 'proline' and wait for your post.



All this is quite new to me. I was in something of denial about my Hashi's. Just take the pill and forget about it, you know?

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Done it! :-D

Ashley Jacob said...

ShoppingSpout.com is allowing you to reveal Gnc online coupons. Its only for the people who want to look beautiful, healthy and fit : http://www.shoppingspout.com/usa/gnc-coupons.html