Friday 8 August 2014

Ketogenic Diets and Sudden Cardiac Death.

Last night, thanks to comments on my previous post, I stumbled across The therapeutic implications of ketone bodies: the effects of ketone bodies in pathological conditions: ketosis, ketogenic diet, redox states, insulin resistance, and mitochondrial metabolism, then a Google search led me to Sudden Cardiac Death and Free Fatty Acids.

The following graph is Figure 1 from Lack of suppression of circulating free fatty acids and hypercholesterolemia during weight loss on a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet.
Nice Insulin, shame about the FFAs.

From the first link above:-
"Current ketogenic diets are all characterized by elevations of free fatty acids, which may lead to metabolic inefficiency by activation of the PPAR system and its associated uncoupling mitochondrial uncoupling proteins."

From the third link above:-
"Weight loss was similar between diets, but only the high-fat diet increased LDL-cholesterol concentrations. This effect was related to the lack of suppression of both fasting and 24-h FFAs."

See also Elevated plasma free fatty acids predict sudden cardiac death: a 6.85-year follow-up of 3315 patients after coronary angiography, and Circulating Nonesterified Fatty Acid Level as a Predictive Risk Factor for Sudden Death in the Population.

I think that's quite enough bad news for a Friday afternoon.


EDIT: So much for fat being a "clean-burning" fuel for the heart. Some people believe that, because dietary fats pass from the small intestine, via the Lacteals, to circulation at the Subclavian vein, this means that the heart prefers to burn fatty acids.

From Page 10 of HIGH CARBOHYDRATE DIETS: MALIGNED AND MISUNDERSTOOD:-


Human erythrocytes (red blood cells) contain cholesterol and it can contribute towards atherosclerosis. See https://twitter.com/Drlipid/status/496625195738619904.

See also Evidence for a cholesteryl ester donor activity of LDL particles during alimentary lipemia in normolipidemic subjects. This is more evidence that very high fat meals are atherogenic, which is relevant to Ultra-high-fat (~80%) diets: The good, the bad and the ugly.

8 comments:

Sanjeev Sharma said...

de-lurking to thank you- thanks for all the good info ... I REALLY don't know enough about cholesterol.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

You must have de-lurked here before, as you're in the white-list. See also http://nigeepoo.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/cholesterol-and-coronary-heart-disease.html for a lay-person's explanation, if you haven't already read it.

By the way, I've been wetting myself over some of your comments in http://www.amazon.com/review/RJNHKNDEFFVQ2/ref=cm_cd_pg_next?ie=UTF8&asin=1451624425&cdForum=Fx1Z2XHYJ0W5J47&cdPage=21&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1LJG9OQY1GTIN&store=books#wasThisHelpful

Sanjeev Sharma said...

sigh ... I keep wanting to reply especially to that one toerag ...



I start typing and remind myself



"my deadline's coming up, if he starts a new thread I can't spend time researching to reply and will leave the impression i can't respond"

Screennamerequired said...

Yeah,

But was the cream grass fed?

Nigel Kinbrum said...

"that one toerag ..."
Lemme guess - Allen I. Branson.

I've dismissed him as either a denialist (always demanding more evidence, or trying to shift the burden of proof onto me), or a troll (arguing for the sake of arguing) or a denialist troll. I'm not going to waste any more time on him.

I've reported his final comment to me for being full of lies, but it's still there. I've re-reported it, with stronger wording.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

I'm glad you asked that question.

How does one get cream to eat grass?

P.S. Welcome to the mad-house. You're now white-listed!

Screennamerequired said...

"How does one get cream to eat grass?"


The same way you get butter to eat grass, obviously.


But seriously, from everything I have read there's no realistic nutritional significance between grass-fed and grain-fed meat or dairy.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Having been reading Seth Godin's critique of Big Fat Lies, I spotted http://thescienceofnutrition.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/fatty-acid-ratios.jpg?w=800

The 18:2 to 18:3 ratio is much the same between buffalo & beef cattle. There's much less EPA & DHA in beef cattle, but does anybody eat beef, cream or butter for its EPA & DHA?