Monday 31 January 2011

It's written in the book.

The title of this blog post is a line from "Behind the Lines", the first track from "Duke" by Genesis.
Today, at Acacia Lodge, there was a Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection taking place. It just so happened that the CQC lady who was on the 2nd floor (where mum is) was the same lady that I complained to about mum's last nursing home. She remembered me (we nerds are very memorable!). We had a long chat.

As a result of our long chat:-
1) I shall chill a bit!
2) There will be feedback books in every resident's bedroom. Anyone can write in them. What is written can be good or bad. I won't have to make any more verbal complaints to the manager (a great relief for both of us!).

In other news...

I've been adopted by a pair of black cats. Is that doubly-lucky, or what? Pets are a great de-stressor. Did you know that in Romania, black cats are considered to be unlucky? Jay (of Jay's Kitchen in Henley-on-Thames) told me.

Here they are drinking some Gold Top milk from the top of the bottle (i.e. cream).


I won't let them come in the house, though.

See also Dog's Diary vs. Cat's Diary

6 comments:

praguestepchild said...

The cats have you in their power, resistance is futile. Might as well stock up on Friskies and a scratching post and get it over with.

We have four in our tiny flat, long story.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

We? I thank that might be the explanation!

I'm single and I'm staying that way. When I got divorced, I made sure that my ex got custody of her cats!

lightcan said...

Ha ha, it's a silly girly superstition, like not walking under a ladder or touching a button when you see a chimney sweeper. We used to walk backwards a few steps, I forgot how many when a black cat crossed our path or cross on the other side of the road to avoid it. Funny.
And also said that if you stepped in you know what it means you would be lucky.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Stepping in you know what has never been lucky for me!

Anonymous said...

Hy, Nigel,
I enjoy your blog.
I know another superstition about black cats - some people consider it unlucky when black cat crosses somebody's path . It shouldn't concern you - nerds are not superstitious and if you don't believe in it , it will not harm you.
Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats.
Galina L.

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Hi Galina,

I'm going to stick with the new format of music video, text and picture, as it adds variety.

Jay's father was at the burger van yesterday and he said that Romanians take 7 steps backwards when they see a black cat in their path. Apparently, black cats are witches' cats.

Luckily, I'm not allergic to cats or anything else (apart from hard work!) ;-D